Free Online German Language Course with Inga Pavlova
Lektion 4 - die Possessivpronomen
Note: when you tap or click an underlined word on this page, you should be able hear that word.
Mir geht es gut und Ihnen?
Here again I present another lecture on German language, in which I would like to tell you a little bit about possessive pronouns -
- As well as nouns, German pronouns also have their own gender, which directly depends upon the gender of the corresponding noun.
For example: the word table in German means Tisch.
In English the corresponding pronoun to the word table is the pronoun it, which means that in English table belongs to neuter gender.
However, in German language the corresponding pronoun to the word der Tisch is the word er (he), which means that der Tisch
in German language belongs to the masculine gender and therefore they say
der Tisch (article der points to masculine gender).
And for this reason all the German nouns have to be learned together with the corresponding articles.
meine - ( mine )
deine - ( yours )
seine - ( his )
ihre - ( her / hers )
sein - ( his for the words with article das )
unsere - ( our / ours )
eure - ( your / yours )
Ihre - ( your / yours )
ihre - ( their / theirs )
Also, in German language, depending on the article of the noun, the corresponding pronoun has different ending.
In feminine gender as well as in every plural we usually append -е to the end of the pronoun.
- Zum Beispiel :
- Das ist mein Auto. (das Auto - neutrum)
- Das sind eure Kinder. (die Kinder - plural)
- Das ist ihr Bruder. ( der Bruder - maskulinum)
- Das ist mein Vater, seine Mutter und unsere Katze.
- German nouns with articles der and das do not have any additional ending, but this applies only to the Nominativ case.
- mein Auto ( because Auto has article das )
- ihr Bruder ( because Bruder has article der )
- seine Mutter ( Mutter has article die )
- The same situation is with the following pronouns:
- dieser Tisch ( der Tisch - this table )
- diese Lampe ( die Lampe - this lamp )
- dieses Regal ( das Regal - this shelf )
- diese Stühle ( die Stühle (pl.) - these stools )
That's all for today.